Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Conjunction Conjunction, what's your function....

So school started yesterday, I wish I could say I'm jumping for joy at the thought of another 13 days of class but I'm not. I was thinking walking in that maybe there would be some people I could hit it off with, but man, they were a stone cold bunch yesterday. I'm not known for being the most outgoing, social person but I'm really making the effort on this trip or else it will be 3 of the loneliest months ever. Anyways, it was a bit better today but I'm not really holding my breath thinking I'll even really make anything more than passing acquaintances.

Now class itself......uhmm....yah. Let's just say I won't be taking level 2 next month. The teacher Aom is pretty awesome, great energy and is good at drilling it in but I honestly don't think I have enough functioning brain cells to hold more than a few good phrases. Not that I think it's going to be a waste of time because these are some key phrases we're talking about: where is the toilet, where is the bus station and most important, what is the name of that handsome man?

Long, short, the more you know the more the people here think you know. You get into these dicey situations where you say a few phrases and wind up with a deluge coming back at you. You can only have that happen a few times and shrug your shoulders saying "Thai nit noi" (Thai little bit) before you think I'm better off just knowing the basics because I'm starting to feel incredibly stupid.

In lieu of level 2 I'll just do a bit of traveling instead. I had my heart set of volunteering at this elephant rescue camp but the school schedule would have made it a bit tight schedule wise. I'm going to apply to get a volunteer position and see if I get accepted, I don't know when I'd ever get a chance to do something like that again so, in the end, it might be a good idea as opposed to one I had.


No comments:

Post a Comment